There are some basic steps to creating a digital story in iMovie.
First, you need images.
- Add your own pictures (via iPhoto)
- Use online sources to gather images (remember to cite sources)
- Creative Commons images
- Move images into iMovie with the "picture" icon (it looks like a camera)
- What's your story? (Write out your script. Try not to wing it.)
- Use the built-in microphone on your Mac.
- Click on the microphone icon and then click on the image you want to add voice to.
- Speak. Listen. Revise.
- You may need to adjust and re-adjust the length of the image to coordinate with the length of your narration
- Use music from your iTunes library
- A hint: don't use a song with singing. It is too intrusive.
- Download songs and/or sound effects from a site like Freeplay Music
- Add the song to your iTunes library
- Use the music icon in iMovie to find your song and drag it into your file
Here is a great visual tutorial created by Sylvia Rosenthal Tolisano, whose blog is entitled Langwitches.